Managed by a board of trustees representing Pennant Hills Golf Club, The Foundation provides support and funding to important projects in support of the aims and objectives of PHGC. The projects are generally large capital expenditure undertakings that generate significant member benefit and so avoid the need to excessively raise subscription levels.The current Trustees of the Foundation are; Ross Jackson (Chair), Peter Abraham, Mark Golding, Ray Dearlove, Craig Stubbs, Lyall McLachlan, Michael Rowan and Lesley Roberts as Nominees of the Board as well as Mark Bradbury an ex officio member and as Chair of the Board Planning Committee.
The current version of the deed of trust that governs the Pennant Hills Golf Club Foundation is below:
Under the Deed, the members of the Foundation are those who have contributed $1000 or more:
The PHGC Foundation is registered with the Australian Sports Commission (ASF) though a Grant Agreement enabling the Foundation to register and seek approval of the ASF to raise funds in support of a sporting project. Funds raised in support of these approved projects are tax deductible by the donor. Donors pay the ASF who deduct a commission fee of 5% before crediting the remaining 95% to the bank account of the Foundation.
Donors who do not seek a tax deductible arrangement are therefore naturally encouraged to donate directly to the Foundation. The donor portal to each of the sporting projects will offer each alternative.
Second Memorial Gates Project
The first Memorial gates were officially opened in 1956. The course was in need of a major overhaul following WWII, and a committee was formed to plan a method of course improvement and green rebuilding. The project was extensive and included erection of a maintenance shed, purchase of equipment including a tip truck for £950, major reshaping and installation of a watering system. There were 5 men employed at the time, this quickly grew to 10 plus a mechanic.
Expenditure demands were daunting to the 540 members each paying the equivalent of $25.00 in annual subscriptions. Total revenue of the club in 1949 was some $28,000. By 1956 when the memorial gates were opened, club subs had doubled to $55.00 and revenue had climbed to over $60,000.
As a consequence, all non-course improvements were met through fund raising and donations, the first Memorial Sandstone gates with the impressive two way entry/exit and fountain were paid for by the ex-service members of the time. It appears there were around 77 ex serving members including 7 women. The Chair of the ex-service members was Eric Stanton who “presented” the gates to the club President, Harry Small on 26th September 1956.
How history repeats itself, having undertaken extensive club house improvements resulting in a necessary realignment of entry and exit points to the car park we are now in need of new gates at the Burns Road South entry. This at a time when we are faced with multi-million dollar expenditure demands to improve and sustain the golf course.
Donate to the Second Memorial Gates Project
Yet again, with expenditure priority firmly focussed on the course improvements, we are challenged to raise funds and seek donations to design and build a second set of sandstone gates to provide a second secure entry to the carpark.
To see the interim design, understand the costing, learn more about the Second Memorial Gates project and to discover the link to the donor portal, click below:
Training and Development Centre
The relocation of the Pro Shop to the main building has provided a number of efficiencies and benefits to staff and members alike. It has also left a legacy that includes (no change) to the suitably equipped storage facility for golf carts, the previous pro shop premises and the very old buggy and club storage rooms.
The old pro shop premises are need of roof repair but have provided an excellent history and archive facility that houses an impressive collection of club memorabilia, records and cultural curios. Well worth a visit. Unfortunately the old buggy and golf club storage wing is in need of demolition, it was built cheaply, it leaks and is highly likely to contain asbestos although not of the friable variety.
The original plans of the clubhouse extension and relocation of the pro shop included an indoor training capability; unfortunately this initiative was abandoned due to subsequent cost overruns and the discovery of asbestos.
Given our inability to offer an outdoor driving range together with the absence of all-weather lesson facilities and the growth of classes for juniors it has placed our exceptional teaching pros under some stress as well as hampering our capacity to provide modern -training facilities for members.
In response the Board have elected to consider demolition of the old storage wing and construct an integrated training and development centre that provides golf simulators linked to big screens, indoor nets and an all-weather trackman capability.
It is also planned to include adjacent outdoor chipping, putting and bunker play areas as well as provision for a classroom to be used in group lessons or seminars.
It is a stimulating project initiative that offers significant member benefit.
Donate to the Training and Development Centre
The Foundation is excited to undertake the task of raising the resources to complete this state of the art training and development centre. We are looking for “best of breed” here, and a training option for members that is otherwise unavailable in Sydney. Naming rights available.
To see the interim design, understand the costing, learn more about the venture and to discover the link to the donor portal:
Kendal Binns Junior Fund
The Kendal Binns Junior Development Fund (formerly known as the Kendal Binns Cadet Foundation) was first registered with the ASF in 2014. The Fund is now authorised as a sporting project under the umbrella of the PHGC Foundation and successfully functions through a Committee comprising Ed Truscott (Chair), Graeme Martin, Rhonda Parkinson and Hugh Gerdes.
Money raised by KBJDF is allocated or applied under the direction of the Committee; it is used to provide the necessary support for young golfers to help them achieve their personal goals in golf whilst also helping them grow as fine young members of our Club. Whilst the Fund supports and nurtures individual players, the Club continues to support representative teams.
Make a Donation
The KBJDF publishes a report each year and this can be found in the annual report of the club, the balance of the fund is listed as a Reserve in the Balance Sheet of the Club.
Once received the office will then process your form and provide you with a receipt as an acknowledgement of your donation.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Club and ask to speak to the General Manager who will be only too happy to assist.